Sunday, April 26, 2009

It’s spring and…

…the mosquitoes buzz at night and I have not touched my bag of wool socks in weeks.

…the tourists are back with their dog-eared Lonely Planet guides and European accents and expectations of snowy peaks and cheap cashmere and elephants and 'culture.'

…the electricity is on 12 hours a day instead of 8, thanks to the week of pre-monsoon rain. (Despite the improvement, grumbles continue and they’re getting louder and It's the Government’s Fault they say.)

…the days are longer and that means the restaurant that serves slimy garlic fried mushrooms stays open an hour later which is great because its not just next door.

… I only have 4 days left of work. And that’s crazy because I’ve been here 10 months but sometimes it feels like only 10 minutes.

… my mind is set on May and mountains. And the next 30 days when my main responsibilities will be to drink yak milk tea when I’m thirsty and lean my back against a sunny rock when I’m tired.

… I’m wondering where ill be next spring. I’ve sent out a resume or two but most of my attention is not on the next but on the now. Because now I can say “now or never” and mean it. I'm trying to choose now.

No comments: